Thursday, December 4, 2008

A little bit sad

I never EVER thought I would say that I missed the farm we lived on...it was just so much darn work! This morning Tate wanted to take some of the photos of the animals from the farm, the kids at school didn't believe that he lived on a farm. It actually made me a little sad flipping through the photos. It made me miss all the animals believe it or not. I do have to say that was the greatest learning our family has ever had. Not just about the animals, but about what our family could endure, how much sleep you really can live off of when cows are birthing, how fast sheep can run not to mention how high they can jump (it's really true!), the experience of a new baby calf being born (I never thought that was a sight I would miss). You learn so much about life and death. We had a few lambs die and a cow. The kids usually handled it better than Josh and I did.

This photo is one I love. How many kids do you know who have a calf for a pet? That is CowPatty and Tate. When ever we go out to the farm she still comes when we call her and she will still let you pet her. She is MUCH bigger however.
Just a little reminiscing for the day.

3 comments:

Nichole said...

I want to hear more about the farm? Did you own a farm? Was that your livlihood or just for fun. I am SO ready for the farm life. That is our goal to end up in life on a ranch.

Dani said...

We didn't own the farm, we ran it. Now looking back I loved the farm more than I thought I did. What I didn't love was the fact that Josh was in school full time or working full time and running the farm. NOT a good combination, we never saw him. There is always something that needs to be done on a farm. If it would have been our livlihood I think it would have been a lot different, we just had too much on our plates. I think ranching would be awesome if that was all we were doing! Farm life is amazing for kids, they learn to appreciate life, and that they don't have to have a gaming system to have fun! The hard work is great for bringing families closer together believe it or not. Just be prepared for doing TONS of laundry, sweeping and mopping!

Camilla Millar said...

It is true, you did have a very COOL house. I think I can kindof understand missing and not missing it at the same time, though. Good description!